TEAM & ACQUAINTANCES
TOM ZHANG, PhD, PE
- PhD, PE in Mechanical Engineering, focused on heat transfer and fluid mechanics.
- Lead Engineer with Optimus Solutions – has been with Optimus since its inception in 2015. During this time, has added multiple services to solve the company’s toughest engineering problems. These include: DATScan 2.0, Mechanical Load Studies, Finite Element Analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics, 3D Printed Flighting tests and Combustion Performance Evaluations.
- Implemented 3D printing technology to increase production rates for an Optimus Solutions customer.
- In 2018, overhauled the DATscan cold alignment program (now DATscan 2.0™) and the Hot Kiln Alignment (now Kiln Axis Survey, KAxS) for Optimus’ sister company, Industrial Kiln & Dryer Group
• Specializing in facility, company management, team creation
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Missouri.
Key Account Specialist
• 21+ years of customer service/sales experience, of which 11 years spent in the rotary drying business handling both mechanical and process issues with dryers, coolers, kilns, and ball mills
• Extensive domestic and international experience
• Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Marketing
Senior Process Engineer
• Experience includes application of industrial fans, air pollution control, hammer mills and pellet mills, and rotary dryers
• He also holds a patent in combined materials processing
• Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from J.B. Speed School of Engineering at the University of Louisville
- 15+ years combined experience in both industry and academia, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Manufacturing Engineering.
- Concentration in machine design (proto-type design and testing), finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, solid modeling, sustainable energy technologies, statistical modeling.
Burner and Controls Specialist
- Decades of experience in the repair, maintenance and installation of diverse process machinery and all related components.
- Extensive experience as an industrial electro-mechanic, machinist/tool maker, maintenance and power distribution of high, low and controlled voltage components, AC and DC drives, PLC controls, hydraulics and pneumatics systems.
- Has worked in such locations as the U.S., U.K., Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada, Colombia, and the Czech Republic.
Rotary Equipment Measurement Specialist
10+ years of rotary equipment experience
Lead Survey Technician for both Industrial Kiln & Dryer Group and Optimus Solutions since 2020
Experience installing gears, tires, ball bills, dryers, and shell sections
U.S. Army National Guard veteran where he worked as a drafter/welder